Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving...what's cookin?

(photo by: Tim Morris)
I adore Thanksgiving, and we are so excited to have our first Thanksgiving here in our new home. Of course I love to cook, so this may be a boring post to some, but it's one of the highlights of my week (just after seeing my family)!

So here's what's on our menu....what's on yours? It's never to early for me to get ideas for next year...


Oyster Stuffing (in recent years I've tried various stuffings, but am sticking to our family tradition this year)

Fresh Cranberry Sauce


Citrus Glazed Carrots (a new recipe I'm trying out)

My Grandma's Butterflake Rolls

Pink Jello Salad (to keep my Dad and Brian happy)

Spiced Pumpkin Pie (another new version I'm trying out)

Banana Cream Pie (my Dad's favorite)

Sparkling Apple Cider

*I'm going to cook the turkey using the method in this recipe (with the addition of starting the turkey breast down for one hour and then flipping it over) as I have done in the past. It's great and FAST! In past years I've combined that technique with this recipe (brining the turkey prior to following the recipe) with delicious results. But this year I'm trying salting instead of brining. It intrigues me, and I will avoid the nightmares I would dream the night before Thanksgiving of opening my fridge in the morning to a broken bag and bloody, salty water leaking everywhere. (Because I didn't have a big enough container that would fit in my fridge, I had to use a bag to ensure the turkey was completely submerged in the solution.)

So here's to a wonderful Thanksgiving for all with no nightmares (imaginary or culinary)!

4 comments:

Sally said...

Sounds yummy! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Emily said...

I wish we could have joined you guys. That sounds wonderful!

Bill Gates II said...

I am sorry I didn't call you. We were all sick and didn't end up having our Thanksgiving. John helped me make the turkey a few days later. It was really good. Thanks for the ideas. I hope you guys had a nice holiday. Your menu looked amazing, as usual

Natalie Redd said...

Hi guys - Thanks so much for the cute Christmas card and updated info! It was just in time - my cards went out today! Your blog is so cute, and WHERE DOES THE TIME GO? Grace is just darling and so old. Take care!